Saturday, September 03, 2005

Hey, here's a solution to the New Orleans problem:

Kick the Red Cross out because you think that people will actually stay in NO if they aren't in danger of immediate starvation and dehydration.

Go see Talkleft.

While you're there, go read this posting, which carries the horrible implication that New Orleans is now a free-fire zone for Guardsmen protecting the property of wealthy whites from starving blacks.

Because, you know, you gotta have priorities.

Edit for clarity I'm not saying that this is about race. I'm saying this is about property. I'm saying that I don't give a rat's ass about the looters, and anybody who does at this point has such a warped sense of priorities it's nauseating. So people have grabbed TVs from Wal-Mart. So what?

I'm not advocating it, I don't like it, but I don't for a moment believe that it motivated a significant number of people to stay behind and I know for a fact that it's of far lesser importance than helping actual living, breathing human beings. If the tenor of the reporting that I'm reading is true, the priorities of the Bush administration's response are as horribly skewed now as they were when he was sitting on his hands.

I'm hoping it's wrong, but I don't expect it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment