Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Huffington on Gore

Nice piece by Arianna Huffington about Al Gore's new movie, An Inconvenient Truth, and how it highlights the difference between the overly controlled and processed Gore of the 2000 election and the human being we see today.

(She also describes how the same process has happened to Hilary Clinton, and how it's largely robbed her of those traits that made her human and interesting.)

I'm looking forward to An Inconvenient Truth, and I'll probably see it tomorrow; but I was expecting a straight-up documentary about global warming, not on Gore himself. Considering how close the country came to having him as president, and the damage that the victor of that contest caused, I'm actually more interested than I was before.

That said, I do have one issue: Gore was never as "stiff" as Huffington asserts. She has her own reputation to keep, and so I'm not surprised that she doesn't want to contradict a position that she had had at the time, but the Gore slams of 2000 were transparent attempts to build a narrative of "cold DC wonk vs. friendly (if none too bright) southerner". There's no need to perpetuate that crap in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment