Thursday, May 04, 2006

"Doctor"?

Is it just me, or does anybody else find it disturbing that a purported psychiatrist is seriously trying to argument that disliking the president is proof of dangerous mental illness?

I've heard this "Bush Derangement Syndrome" twaddle before, but I didn't think I'd ever hear it from a purported practicing psychiatrist. Never mind the professional prescriptions against diagnosis-at-a-distance that this ignores, but to describe her ideological opponents as sick, deranged, barbaric and possessed by pathological displacement--when the motivating factor is almost certainly a different interpretation of policy and a deep difference in basic epistemological assumptions--is nothing short of dangerous.

It raises the spectre of totalitarianism far more effectively than anything the NSA is doing.

(Edit: This came from an entry where she claimed that those who enjoyed Colbert's satire were mentally ill. Yes, I'm serious. Yes, I find that as wrong as you probably do.)

(Further Edit: Fixed the gender. So much for gender stereotypes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment