Thursday, July 24, 2003

Oh, the tragedy of a fallen star.

Despite he and I having a long "history", and despite my having commented on Uday and Qusay in a fashion that clearly should have prompted a reaction, I was not included in Steven Den Beste's carefully contrived attack on those who were insufficiently joyous over the Hussein brothers' deaths.

I weep. Doesn't he care anymore? Don't I get a role in what Hesiod (who did get mentioned) aptly dubbed Den Beste's "neo-McCarthyist" attack on what Den Beste snidely calls "the loyal opposition"? What happened to the Clancy-loving conspiracy-mongering Bush-backing El Capitano that less than a year ago used to write incredibly long screeds about my fervent desire to, apparently, conquer the world?

I feel so unappreciated.

Still, I will contribute this: Steven should probably avoid saying things like this:

I think it says an awful lot about him that he thinks someone who liked to watch when men were fed feet-first into a shredding machine, so he could listen to their screams as they died, is a "lesser evil" than our current President.
...when at least one of the United States' "coalition allies" has a disturbing tendency to boil people alive. I imagine that they scream a lot too. After all, Steven wouldn't want to be seen as "objectively pro-boiling" now, would he?

Edit: Well, Steven did provide a link saying "Demosthenes comments". It's not lengthy, but it does make me feel like part of the team, and that's something. Not sure what it's "objectively pro-", but it's definitely something. As for the rest of Steven's writings, I find it extraordinarily interesting that he condones both misleading the American people and completely ignores the negative ramifications of American actions. Instead of saying "these negative things may happen, but these positive things outweigh them", he's claiming that each and every consequence of the war in Iraq is going to be unreservedly positive. (He mentions a "trickle of casualties", but places it within the context of demonstrating American resolve.)

This is, in a word, impossible. The real world doesn't work like this, and real analysis doesn't work like this. Propaganda, however, usually does; it's deeply ironic that Steven accuses Hesiod of "living in a dream world".

No comments:

Post a Comment