Friday, November 22, 2002

This posting is actually one good reason why I'm quite happy to have my name beside The Rittenhouse Review. I'll simply reproduce it:

I can no longer in good conscience include on the Rittenhouse Review’s blogroll any weblog that has provided a permanent blogroll link of its own to the site known as “Little Green Footballs” or “LGF.”

It is with great regret and considerable lament that I have adopted this position -- or been forced to adopt this position -- as I am normally a passionate advocate of an author’s right to choose his associates and to establish and maintain her own chosen associations.

However, it has become painfully clear, to the extent it wasn’t already, that the hosts of LGF, while preciously coy about their own political persuasions, all too willingly and not without satisfaction have allowed their site to become a vile cesspool of racism, bigotry, prejudice, ignorance, and hate.

Little Green Footballs, its readers, and what can in fairness only be described as its many contributors, have long since moved beyond the realm of civilized discourse. And so I am determined to distance myself in every possible way from their endeavor and those who support it.

I fully expect to be raked over the coals for this decision, to be called all sorts of names, and to be disparaged with merciless unfairness and obloquy.

Too bad. There are times when enough is enough, and this is one such time.
I don't link to LGF, have never (perma)linked to LGF, and have nothing but scorn for that site. Thing is, I'm not even sure it's the worst, judging by some of the other winners that have graced my monitor recently. (Not naming any names or linking any links, of course.) I'm somewhat glad that a real left blogosphere has arisen to deal with these guys, but the extremity of the views is only growing. Considering how bad it is already, where it could be going is very scary, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment