Sunday, March 23, 2003

For those few who probably don't already know: Sean Paul Kelley's The Agonist is, by far, the best place to go for up-to-the-minute blogged info about the war. I hadn't mentioned Sean Paul's site in this space, and should have; even before he carved out this all-important data concentration niche, it was a good read. Now, of course, he's made it indispensible.

As for my own take on this? Like I said a few days ago, I hope that it goes off without a hitch (although a few hitches have, apparently, already happened). I'm not overly surprised at the apparently ambiguous reaction of the Iraqis: some happy that the U.S. is there, some supposedly not. My biggest concern is the old movie cliche about it being "all too easy": Saddam had ages to prepare for this, and we haven't seen any chemical attacks, so what's coming? The "false surrender" technique aside, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Other than that, and noting that the "peace blossoming throughout the mideast" theory appears unlikely by the moment, I find myself having little to contribute at the moment. Like everybody else, I'll sit, read Sean Paul's site, watch the weird conflation of propaganda and information that is CNN, and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment